Social enterprise is the fusion of business and social needs. Successful social enterprise initiatives require a guide who can help you navigate both.
Gerrad Oishi is a social entrepreneur, businessman and engineer. For 20 years he has brought new ventures to life in the non-profit, energy, technology and media sectors.
With a background in both business and society building, Gerrad develops new opportunities that bridge the business and the non-profit sectors.
Gerrad’s work has ranged from:
- Leading service development and marketing functions for two publicly traded technology companies.
- Creating a new model for Habitat for Humanity that allowed them to expand from 2 homes a year to a 28 unit townhouse complex.
- Working with the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation to create initiatives that simultaneously build audiences and attracted new resources.
- Shaping social enterprises for a wide range of other Calgary organizations.
In addition to his work with Lodestone Social Ventures, Gerrad also serves as:
- Board member and past Chairman of the Brenda Strafford Foundation
- A private foundation with that employs 1,000 staff in four countries. Projects include hospitals, orphanages, hospices, affordable housing, seniors care and women’s shelters.
- Co-Chairman of the Provincial Assembly for the Provincial Ministry of Children and Youth.
- Chairman of the Board for the Calgary and Area Child and Family Services Authority. A Board that oversees the delivery of the government’s $240M investment in children and families in need.
His past service includes organizations such as: London Benchmark Group, Leadership Calgary, National Association of Japanese Canadians, United Way, Royal Alberta Museum and Advisory Board to His Holiness the Dalai Lama’s visit to Calgary in 2009.
He was named one of Calgary Inc. Magazine’s Top 40 Under 40 in 2006 and was also named as a Visionary for the Calgary Foundation’s Fund on Diversity and Inclusion.
Gerrad holds a Bachelor of Science in Engineering from the University of Alberta and an MBA in New Venture Development from the University of Calgary.